The best games like Spelunky are:
- arrow_rightThe Legend of Dark Witch 2 （魔神少女エピソード２）
- arrow_rightGuacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
- arrow_rightCrypt of the NecroDancer
- arrow_rightOrcs Must Die! 2
- arrow_rightCave Story+
- arrow_rightSteamWorld Dig 2
100 Best Games Like Spelunky:
Filter by Platform Select a Platformarrow_drop_down
- PC (100)
- Xbox One (31)
- PlayStation 4 (29)
- iOS (47)
- Android (27)
- macOS (100)
- Linux (79)
- Nintendo Switch (45)
- Nintendo 3DS (14)
- Nintendo DS (1)
- Xbox 360 (13)
- Xbox (2)
- PlayStation 3 (15)
- PlayStation 2 (4)
- PlayStation (9)
- PS Vita (19)
- PSP (9)
- Wii U (12)
- Wii (19)
- GameCube (2)
- Nintendo 64 (4)
- Game Boy Advance (4)
- Game Boy Color (1)
- Game Boy (4)
- SNES (12)
- NES (11)
- Classic Macintosh (4)
- Apple II (4)
- Commodore / Amiga (25)
- Atari 2600 (1)
- Atari 8-bit (1)
- Atari ST (9)
- Atari Lynx (1)
- Genesis (14)
- SEGA Saturn (1)
- SEGA CD (1)
- SEGA Master System (2)
- Dreamcast (1)
- 3DO (3)
- Jaguar (1)
- Game Gear (3)
- Neo Geo (1)
1. The Legend of Dark Witch 2 （魔神少女エピソード２）
The Legend of Dark Witch 2 retains its simple controls and enough challenges to satisfy the completist.
Created by indie games company INSIDE SYSTEM in 2014, The Legend of Dark Witch 2 is a 2D action story sequel to "The Legend of Dark Witch". True to its predecessor, Legend of the Dark Witch 2 retains its simple controls and enough challenges to satisfy the completist.
Players have 8 stages to choose from and must use SHOTs to make their way through a variety of obstacles to reach the boss enemy. Within each stage there are hidden "Pura Syega" which are helpful to power up player characters.
-Increased number of stages to choose from
-Allows finer customization for player stats using "Tres"
-"Technical skills" can be customized not only to increase power, but add abilities as well
-New "Forbidden" items added for a wider variety of game play
Cinematic gameplay is used to make a stylistic point, and this psychological horror game performs just that. Outlast follows the story of investigative journalist Miles Upshur, that got the lead on the inhuman experiments, performed on the asylum patients. Outlast forces players to run away from danger, simply because there is no combat system. All Miles can do is to document what is happening inside the Mount Massive Asylum. Players do not have a flashlight, only a night vision camera, which constantly requires batteries in order to function. Miles will be pursued through the halls, rooms, yards and enclosed laboratories by distressed and aggressive inhabitants. Over the course of the game, players will have to solve puzzles by locating and collecting items and travel through the Asylum with realistic movement animation and horror sting sound effect, in order to make players sympathize with the protagonists.
Celeste is a platformer about climbing a mountain, from the creators of TowerFall.
Explore a sprawling mountain with over 500 levels bursting with secrets, across 8 unique areas. Unlock a hardcore Remix for each area, with completely new levels that will push your climbing skills to the limit.
Madeline can air-dash and climb any surface to gain ground. Controls are simple and accessible, but super tight and expressive with layers of depth to master. Deaths are sudden and respawns are fast. You'll die a lot, but you'll learn something every time.
Meet peculiar characters and climb through a personal story of breaking through your self-doubt to find yourself, set in the present-day Pacific Northwest. Uncover the mystery of the mountain's power and outrun your reflection on your journey to reach the top.
4. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
Guacamelee! is strongly inspired by colorful Mexican aesthetics and folklore. Your protagonist, Juan Aguacate, used to be a regular farmer until one day he found a magic mask of a Luchador, that is, a Mexican wrestler. His mission is to save El Presidente's daughter who was captured by evil Carlos Calaca. The villain wants her as a sacrifice to open the gates to the World of the Dead. In a cooperative mode, Juan is aided by female luchador Tostada.
Despite being a traditional Metroidvania platformer, Guacamelee! is also, surprisingly, an open-world game. You can go in any direction in this 2D world. For example, if you climb down, this counts as going south on the map. Action in Guacamelee! is inspired by fighting games like Mortal Kombat, and the controls are very responsive. The monsters are varied and very Mexican: they include traditional Dia de Los Muertos skeletons, feral armadillos, and evil cacti.
The Super Turbo Championship Edition adds several new features, such as Intenso mode that makes your characters way stronger for a short amount of time. Health bars above your opponents' heads are introduced. This edition also features new enemies, levels, and even a new boss in this edition.
5. Crypt of the NecroDancer
Crypt of the NecroDancer is an indie roguelike game developed by Brace Yourself Games.
You control Cadence, who looks for her missing father. During the search, she falls into a crypt, where the NecroDancer steals Cadence's heart. Cadence can't do anything without following the music's beat and has to find both her heart and her father.
Crypt of the NecroDancer can be played with a dance pad, a gamepad or a keyboard. Having the Protagonists able to do anything only as the music beats makes the Crypt of the NecroDancer a rhythm roguelike game. Movement, attacking and using your items has to be planned in advance, as the player can't do anything between the beats. If the player misses the beat, no actual harm to the character is done, yet the scoring multiplier resets. The players set out to explore a procedurally generated underground dungeon.
The players can find new weapons, items, and equipment during the exploration of the dungeon. Your inventory is managed by the game. As in most roguelike games, your inventory is lost on death, yet any diamonds the players find still persists. On death, the players return to a game lobby, where they can buy permanent upgrades.
6. Orcs Must Die! 2
The game takes place a few days after the events of the first part of Orcs must die!. The Sorceress is trying to escape from the crowd. And suddenly, mysteriously, a massive split opens up next to her. She crosses the threshold and finds herself in the Dwarven Mines, right in front of a War Mage who now works at the mines. She enlists his help in the fight against the orcs. But the two discovered that more and more cracks are opening up in different places. They decide to enter the rift and return to the Dead World.
You play as the War Mage, the headstrong hero who charges into danger or play as the more strategic Sorceress who keeps The Mob at bay with mind-control and magic.
You have to defend new fortresses and mines of gnomes, as well as destroy tens of thousands of orcs and other monsters — at your disposal a variety of weapons, spells, guards, traps and amulets. You are given the opportunity to go through a new campaign with friends in a joint game - or fight for survival in endless mode!
7. Cave Story+
Cave Story is a game in the Metroidvania platform-adventure genre, first released on PC in 2004. The game is set in deep dark caves on a floating island. The island is inhabited by a race of intelligent rabbit-like creatures called Mimigas.
Controlling the main character with a gamepad or a keyboard, the player explores an amazing and mysterious world, simultaneously solving platformer-puzzles and defeating enemies. In the world of the game, several types of weapons are available, and a victory in a duel with a foe will bring experience points. In the rest - Cave Story is a classic 2D platformer with polished controls and an interesting setting.
The unnamed main character wakes up in a dark cave without remembering who he is and where he came from. After reaching the settlement, he learns that the world of Mimigas is in danger and decides to help. In the + version of the game released on Steam in 2011, an alternative scenario that does not coincide with the original English localization of the game is featured, as well as an additional “Wind Fortress” level.
8. SteamWorld Dig 2
In SteamWorld Dig 2, you step into the boots of Dorothy, a steambot once robbed of her dear friend – now driven by the hunger for answers.
Buckle up, grab your gear, and get ready to dig into the highly anticipated sequel to the original SteamWorld Dig!
SteamWorld Dig 2 takes you on a platform mining adventure forged in Metroidvania flames. When an old trading town is struck by mysterious earthquakes, it’s up to a lone steambot and her unlikely companion to uncover what trembling terrors lie beneath.
- Dig your way underground and explore vivid worlds riddled with treasure, secrets and traps.
- Combat dangerous enemies at every turn of the underworld’s twisted paths, including shadowy creatures and the haunted remains of an ancient electrical threat.
- Upgrade your gear to forge deeper into the earth and take on bigger challenges.
- Swing across large chasms with your Hookshot and fly through caves with the Jet Engine!
- And finally, learn the truth about your long lost friend…
9. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Bloodstained is an exploration-focused, side-scroller action RPG packing all of the best features you've come to know and love from the Metroidvania genre into a single, content-packed game.
Play as Miriam, an orphan scarred by an alchemist’s curse which slowly crystallizes her body. In order to save herself, and indeed, all of humanity, she must battle her way through a demon-infested castle summoned by Gebel, her old friend whose body and mind has become more crystal than flesh.
WHAT'S IN THE GAME?
- Addictingly tight and satisfying gameplay alongside a rich new story in the gothic dark fantasy style of Koji Igarashi, the celebrated godfather of "Igavania" games.
- A game soundtrack by genre and industry veteran Michiru Yamane, performed by a full live orchestra ensemble.
- Story cut scenes and NPC interactions fully voice acted by a star-studded cast, including actors like David Hayter, Ray Chase and Erica Lindbeck to name just a few. (Seriously, we have a lot of voice acting star power in this game, it's kinda nuts...)
- A total of three playable characters, two of which have yet to be revealed...
- Literally a metric ton of weapons and spells, which you can upgrade, level up and visually customize.
- Beautiful 2.5D graphics: 3D models crafted with a lot of love and care on a 2D game environment. That means lots of cool tricks that "regular" 2D can't do...
We're going to be revealing the release window of the game very soon.
Expect a worryingly large amount of announcements and updates, everything from updating the look of this Steam page to the game in general. It's going to be one wild ride.
10. Nuclear Throne
Nuclear Throne is a top-down roguelike shooter, set in a post-apocalyptic universe.
Plot and features
The game has a sole objective: to reach the famed Nuclear Throne. The player controls one of the many mutated characters. Each playable character is unlockable through levels, and has unique abilities, allowing for different approaches in every playthrough. Each level follows the same pattern: kill enemies, collect upgrades, kill a boss. However, there are many possibilities for a skilled player, as there are achievements to complete, and daily and weekly missions, which can have different objectives.
Dying resets the game’s progress, while success opens up new mutations, weapons, and enemy types. There are five ammunition types, and many weapons share the ammo, so player often has to choose wisely. Mutations can be achieved through leveling up, with some available only to certain mutants, while others are free to choose from. Said mutations can emphasize on character’s unique skill, his weapon proficiency, or upgrade his stats.
Graphics and soundtrack
The game’s pixel art design is made very distinct and unique, as the setting of a post-nuclear western can lead to great possibilities for artists. Each texture, albeit simple, is recognizable and well-made, and the stylistics further emphasize the work of game’s designers. The soundtrack is a mix-match of 8-bit samples and Wild West themes, resulting in a very immersive and entertaining playthrough.
11. Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Anomaly: Warzone Earth is a real-time strategy based on tower defense genre principles. However, instead of protecting your base from waves of enemies, in this game, you try to break into aliens' facilities.
The story is set in the near future when an alien spacecraft falls on Earth. As the head of an investigation team, you need to explore the anomalies happening around the parts of the ship and find out the information about the catastrophe. As the section of the spacecraft landed in several cities, game events take place around the world.
The core gameplay is reversed tower defense mechanics. You have several armor units in the convoy; however, you can't manage them directly. Instead, you need to set paths for them through the city streets and use different boosts to make your attack more effective and help the convoy survive.
Anomaly: Warzone Earth is followed by Anomaly 2 that presents several new maps and mechanics including tower defense vs. tower offense multiplayer mode.
12. METAL SLUG
Metal Slug, is a run and gun video game developed and originally released by Nazca Corporation and later published by SNK. It was originally released in 1996 for the Neo Geo MVS arcade platform. The game is widely known for its sense of humor, fluid hand-drawn animation, and fast-paced two-player action. It is the first title in the Metal Slug series. It has been ported to the Neo Geo AES, Neo Geo CD, Sega Saturn, PlayStation, Virtual Console, PlayStation Network, iOS, Android and Neo Geo X, and to the Wii, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 4 (as part of the Metal Slug Anthology) and Nintendo Switch.
13. Offworld Trading Company
In the sci-fi game Offworld Trading Company, the player can lead an interplanetary corporation in a futuristic trade war for control of Mars.
The game mixes resource mining and construction used in real-time strategies with a stronger economic element. The player has to choose a company he or she will control. The other three companies become the player's rivals. They seldom fight outright, and their rivalry is largely economic. However, they can secretly organize acts of sabotage against each other, eliminate resources with underground nukes and hire goons to attack or defend. The main goal of the game is to assume control over all four companies by purchasing their majority stakes and to create a monopoly. If a rival company obtains the majority in the player's corporation, he or she loses the game.
The game puts a strong emphasis on mining and trading resources. Each level starts with the player scanning the surface of Mars to find resources and build his or her headquarters next to them. Offworld Trading Company has thirteen types of resources. Most of the resources, such as iron, aluminum, and water, can be mined from the Martian soil. Some, like steel, food, and chemicals, are produced from other resources and require special buildings. Each resource has a value that can increase or decrease depending on the demand and supply.
14. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode II
The Sonic 4 Saga continues in Episode II with the return of a beloved side kick and fan-favorite villains!
Following the events of Episode I, Metal Sonic has returned to form an alliance with Dr. Eggman! To face this new evil, Sonic will have to call upon an old friend to help him save the day! Now joined by Tails, race across four new Zones and take down fearsome new badniks with deadly combination moves in order to put an end to this dastardly duo’s plans!
Experience the Sonic 4 saga as never before with the addition of a brand new engine; bringing you gameplay with updated physics and zones in stunning HD graphics! Also new to Episode II is the addition of online/local collaborative play where players can team up with a friend to take control of Sonic and Tails as they battle against Dr. Eggman!
BONUS! Owners of both Episode I & Episode II will unlock Episode Metal! Play as Sonic’s greatest rival in this exclusive zone and experience the untold story behind Metal Sonic’s revival!
In La-Mulana, the player assumes the role of an adventurer archeologist and explores the ruins of a forgotten ancient civilization.
The game follows an archeologist named Lemeza Kosugi. He continues the research of the lost city of La-Mulana that was started by his father Shorn. La-Mulana is a magical place that the protagonist believes was the source of all human civilizations. Its architecture consists of a mixture of various ancient cultures, such as Greek, Egyptian or Maya. Lemeza discovers that all human civilizations were created by an alien "Mother" with a goal to help it return to space.
The player controls Lemeza in a 2D environment. The main character has to explore the levels that consist of many mazes, platforms, and environmental puzzles. The levels are non-linear, and the player can complete the game in a variety of ways, although there are no alternate endings. Lemeza can use his whip to fight enemies or to break some parts of the environment to clear the way.
The game intentionally imitates the retro style of 16-bit console games from the 90s. It uses a limited color palette and pixelated visuals. La-Mulana is also obviously inspired by the Indiana Jones film series. The main character wears a fedora, fights with a whip and is very similar to Indiana. The game is set to the music typically associated with old adventure films.
16. Bloodbath Kavkaz
DESCRIPTIONBloodbath Kavkaz is an action-packed Top-Down Action based around russian culture, telling the story of Caucasian ex-killer named Shamil Rakhmanov. After a car crash Shamil gets in the hands of a mysterious stranger, who offers him a deal he can't refuse. Shamil must find and kill the leader of Moscow criminal syndicate, who is called Jafar, before the sunrise, or else he will die. Being desperate, Shamil starts his blood-filled way into the depths of Moscow night, where he will meet all the horrors of russian modern culture and solve the great conspiracy.
Violent shootouts, slo-mo, thrilling non-linear story and stale shawarma – all of that await you in Bloodbath Kavkaz. Drink yazhka, break doors down, kill the unfaithful, nothing stops you in that game.FEATURES
- Maymays - The game has countless of references to the modern media-culture.
- Awesome soundtrack – a mix of 80's techno and azerbaijani lezghinka will not leave you disappointed.
- Dynamic gunplay – camera is always moving in combat. Various visual effects also help to feel the dynamic of the game.
- Slow-motion will allow you to look at every detail in the heat of combat.
- Hardcore gameplay – Bloodbath Kavkaz is a real challenge for an unprepared player.
- Thrilling and non-linear plot – extraordinary story about ex-killer who is forced to return to his job to save his life, as well as lives of many Moscow citizens.
- Spectacular design – retro-styled graphics inspired by the nostalgia for 2000's games.
- Interactivity – you would find a lot of usable objects and side-NPCs whom you can interact with.
- Various combat styles – you can kill lots of enemies with a single shot in an explosive barrel, or you can destroy a pipe with hot water to stun enemies near it, or you can break a switchboard which will turn the lights off, so the enemy will be completely disoriented, or you can just run and break through doors with what's left of your enemies. Possibilities are endless.
- Level editor – you can create any game location by yourself.
17. Bionic Dues
Bionic Dues is a futuristic game where you have to prepare your defenses before the rise of the machines.
The game is set somewhere in the future, just a few weeks before a robots' rebellion. Rogue machines are about to wipe out a city of 12 million people. The defenders have only 50 days left to prepare before the final battle begins. The protagonist is a pilot who drives Exos, the game's equivalent of mechas.
The player controls a group of four Exos. Their movements and attacks are turn-based. During the 50-days period, the player has to gather details and HPs to upgrade his or her Exos, explore the map, prepare defenses, and set traps. On the final day, the player's preparations will be tested by the enemy invasion. Preparation is everything in this game. Stealth and tactical use of the environment are also important since Exos often cannot withstand against a horde of enemies in an open battle.
Like many roguelike games, Bionic Dues is unforgiving. It uses trial and error gameplay model so that the player usually has to fail many times before he or she can succeed. However, there are six difficulty levels that make it more tolerable for less experienced players.
Bionic Dues' visuals are minimalistic, cold and "robotic", complete with "mechanical" voices and high-tech unit design. It presents the player with a top-down view of the map that looks almost like a circuit board.
18. Stoneshard: Prologue
- Learn the story behind one of Stoneshard's main characters — Verren, who'll play a significant role in the full game
- Explore grim dungeons beneath the kingdom of Aldor
- Fight ancient vampires and customize your hero with different armor sets and weapons
- Get familiar with Stoneshard's health and psyche system — put splints on broken bones, use medical aid and even drugs to ease hero's pain and fend off insanity
- Face the Prologue's mysterious boss and find out if you're strong enough to defeat him
Keep in mind that Prologue is just an alpha version of Stoneshard and is developed for gaming audience to get familiar with the game's concept.
19. Canyon Capers
Canyon Capers is a 2D platformer game.
The main character, DinoJr, is out on a quest of exploring different dungeons, canyons, and caves and hunting for great treasures hidden there. Other characters are unlockable through playing, with their unique traits and different approaches to each level. The levels in the game vary in goals and activities, wherein some there is a time limit to complete the run, while in others the player has to score some points by collecting trophies and defeating enemies.
The game follows a pattern set by the classic retro platformers: the player controls a character who can jump, get rid of enemies by landing on top of them and collect different upgrades. While at that, the game offers different challenges in the form of puzzles to solve and 50 different levels with progressing difficulty. Various types of enemies and dangerous traps await at each map, but the player can restore his progress after dying - the character respawns at the last haven.
Visuals and other features
As mentioned before, the game aims at giving its players the feeling of playing a retro platformer. Thus, the graphics are very cartoon-like, with characters having a simple, yet excellent and loveable design, and the backgrounds and other textures having much detail and work into them. The game also has a variety of achievements to obtain, as well as Steam Marketplace integration with a plethora of Steam Cards awarded for playing the game and completing some achievements.
20. YS: THE OATH IN FELGHANA
When redheaded thrill-seeker Adol Christin and his eternal blue-haired companion Dogi make an unannounced visit to Dogi's homeland of Felghana after an eight-year absence, it quickly becomes apparent that things have changed dramatically. Hordes of violent monsters roam the outskirts of town, a long-dormant volcano has suddenly sprung back to life and the new lord of the land has begun mercilessly and inexplicably extorting money from its long-suffering citizens. While Dogi seeks out his former combat master for answers, Adol tends to the townsfolk -- and finds himself embroiled in a world of political conspiracies, ancient legacies and unthinkable taboos.
A complete 3D reimagining of the 16-bit console classic "Ys III: Wanderers From Ys," Ys: The Oath in Felghana is a fast-paced action role-playing game with tight controls, Metroidvania-style exploration elements, intense combat with epic screen-filling boss battles, and a thrashing, percussive arranged soundtrack that's been heralded by many as one of the best of all time. Based on the original 2005 PC release, this classic is finally officially available in English with added Steamworks features such as achievements and cloud saving.
Come see why Falcom fans the world over regard this game as "Ys, Perfected"!Key Features:
- Six difficulty levels ranging from "Very Easy" for casual players to "Inferno" for true old-school gaming masters.
- Unlockable "Time Attack" and "Boss Rush" modes for anyone looking to show off his/her boss-taming abilities.
- Over 30 unique Steam Achievements as well as Steam Cloud support.
- Adjustable high-resolution PC graphics with original blood effects intact.
- Gamepad support in addition to standard keyboard and mouse controls.
21. METAL SLUG XX
METAL SLUG XX blasts off on Steam!
METAL SLUG XX was originally released on PlayStation®Portable in 2009 and PlayStation®4 in 2018 as part of the classic 2D run-and-gun action shooting game series from SNK, and now returns to service on Steam with graphics upscaled to 1080p and 4k screen resolution support! Moreover, Leona Heidern, who was a paid DLC character in the original PSP® game, is now playable for free and from the get-go!
■7 missions of intense action! Hidden routes for endless replayability!
7 missions of breathtaking action, charismatic characters, Slug vehicles, and a variety of other content await players in METAL SLUG XX. Branching paths are also hidden throughout the stages for those who want to play and clear METAL SLUG XX to completion!
■New military classes and return of the fan-favorite “Combat School”!
Challenge more than 70 mini games prepared by a beautiful instructor, and clear them all to reach the legendary and devilish “Super Devil” military rank! Get promoted to acquire a mobile satellite that will assist you during your missions!
■Leona playable from the start! 7 soldiers ready for battle!
In addition to the traditional METAL SLUG characters such as Marco Rossi, Tarma Roving, Eri Kasamoto, and Fio Germi, Ralf Jones and Clark Still from KOF’s Ikari Team have also been recruited for this mission! Also from the Ikari Team, Leona Heidern, who was a paid DLC character in the original PSP® version of METAL SLUG XX, will also now be playable from the start. Are you ready to stop every enemy attack via her powerful “Moon Slasher” special ability!?
■Tons of hours of gameplay with achievements!
METAL SLUG XX features no fewer than 34 achievements. Players can also enjoy the co-op local play with their friends!
Get ready for endless hours of intense action and fun with METAL SLUG XX on Steam! Rocket Lawnchair!
Tangledeep combines the 16-bit graphics and polish of classic SNES-era RPGs with elements from roguelikes and dungeon crawlers to create a magical experience for players of all skill levels. Trapped in underground villages with no memory of the world at the surface, you must survive an ever-changing labyrinth to discover what lies above. Experience rich, tactical, turn-based gameplay as you explore a sprawling dungeon that’s different each time you play. Tangledeep features a customizable job system and hundreds of collectible items that allow you to approach each playthrough in a totally new way!The Setting
For hundreds of years, people have lived in the safety of underground settlements and villages – where the only route to the surface is “Tangledeep,” a mysterious and ever-changing labyrinth. With memories of the surface world long forgotten, you set out for the labyrinth to discover what lies above. With each floor – full of magical beasts, ancient automatons, bizarre environments and hybrid biomes – the mystery grows ever deeper…Key Features
- Experience finely-tuned, procedurally-generated and handcrafted gameplay as you fight challenging monsters, complete quests, and collect rare items.
- Master deep, tactical turn-based combat across 9 unique jobs. (More to come!)
- Choose between two game modes – including Adventure Mode, which removes the pain of permadeath.
- Share some of your progress between characters by using the banking system, or planting magic trees and raising monsters in town.
- Take in the scenery – comprised of beautiful 16-bit graphics and carefully handcrafted maps!
- Relax to a beautiful soundtrack composed by award-winning composer Andrew Aversa – joined by Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana) and Grant Kirkhope (GoldenEye 007, Civilization: Beyond Earth).
- Runs on both PC and Mac, with Linux support in continuing development (already works great on several distros)
- Play with virtually any controller, and remap any control, binding, or shortcut
- Old-school keyboard-only support (numpad movement) as well as WASD preset bindings available
- Full mouse support - can even be played with ONLY the mouse!
23. Rise to Ruins
Rise to Ruins is at heart a godlike village simulator, but it also throws in plenty of familiar game play mechanics from classic 90s era real-time strategy games like Warcraft, along with some tower defense and survival elements in an attempt to create a new kind of village simulator. The goal is to try to bridge the gap between the depth and complexity of traditional village simulators, the fun of godlikes and the simplicity of real-time strategy.
Build a village, and die trying!A major part of the game is village management, and trying to discover new and creative ways to use the tools at your disposal to keep yourself alive as long as possible. In this game, you will lose frequently, but with every failure you learn a little bit more about how to survive and apply that knowledge to your next attempt.
Several Game ModesCurrently, the game offers three game modes. Survival, Sandbox and Peaceful.
Survival is the game the way it was meant to be played, as a brutal survival style village sim, you will probably die often trying to figure out the best way to survive, but that's half the fun right?!
Peaceful is very similar to Survival, but it's balanced much like a traditional village simulator with some godlike and RTS elements sprinkled on top. The monster spawn rates are much lower, and the main focus is keeping your village happy and fed. It's a very easy mode, designed for casual players, or players just wanting to experiment.
Sandbox, like the name implies, is a mode where you can play around with the game mechanics. Change the time of day, weather, spawn monsters or villagers, or even edit the map while you're playing on it. This is the ultimate "Screw around" mode for players wanting to play with the game mechanics.
Godlike ElementsNot only can you manage your village, but you also have many godlike abilities at your disposal. You can alter the terrain, blast enemies from afar, pick up objects or creatures, heal your villagers, speed up resource growth and all sorts of other fun godly stuff.
Tons of map set themes!Every set of maps will follow a certain theme (Forest, Desert, Underground, etc). Most of the current screenshots only feature a few of these map sets. But many more are planned.
The Soundtrack!A full original soundtrack, made by Bibiki Garcia that blends orchestral instruments in a way fans of old 1990s era PC gaming will love and remember!
SixtyGig Games is a DRM free independent game developer! Rise to Ruins will not now or ever in the future have any sort of DRM! Piracy protection only hurts you guys, the loyal paying players. So you rest assured knowing that once you buy yourself a copy of Rise to Ruins you'll never again have to concern yourself with nagging questions about if you can continue playing the game down the road due to something like always-online logins, lost registration codes or because you bought a new computer and you're only licensed to put the game on one. All I ask from you is to be reasonable and responsible, you can buy the game and play it as much as you like, wherever you like. Just tell your friends to support my DRM-Free philosophy and buy their own copy! Free Content Patches, no paid-DLC
I don't believe in paying for Downloaded Content. If you buy Rise to Ruins you will have access to the entire game and all the content I'll ever create for this it, forever! I believe DLC is greedy, and you deserve to have the full gaming experience from day 1, right out of the (figurative) box!
Your feedback is extremely important. You can reply here or head on over to the Official Website and help shape the direction of development! :)
24. Zombie Vikings
From the creators of indie smash hit Stick It to The Man! comes a new one to four-player co-op stab-you-in-the-gut-a-thon. Embark on a dead funny adventure with the Zombie Vikings. A putrid posse sent on a mission through the most epic of worlds to retrieve Odin’s lost eye.
Play as the most fearsome Vikings ever raised from Norse soil – Gunborg, Seagurd, Hedgy and Caw-kaa. Hack through the gingerbread swamps of Molgaga! Cruise through the intestines of the Midgaard Serpent! Fight giant poultry!
- Co-op story brawler for 1-4 players
- Single-player and online/offline multiplayer
- Written by Zach Weinersmith (SMBC Comics)
- +25 levels in 8 different worlds. Plus 5 Versus Arenas!
- Choose among four different Zombie Vikings, each with unique power moves
- Over 40 unlockable weapons. Try out Stinknir or Blunt Fish Trauma!
- Collect Viking Runes to gain new cool abilities. Mix up your style of play!
- Stitch all your friends together into a giant mega Zombie. Working together is fun!
The easiest mode is 'HARD'!
BUTCHER is a fast-paced 2D shooter and a blood-soaked love letter to the cult classics of the genre. As a cyborg programmed to eradicate the last remains of humanity, your sole purpose is to well... annihilate anything that moves.
So grab your weapon of choice (from chainsaw, through shotgun, to grenade launcher) and kill your way through underground hideouts, post-apocalyptic cities, jungles and more. And if you're feeling creative, there are plenty other ways of ending your enemies' misery - hooks, lava pits, saws... no death will ever be the same.
If kicking corpses into a lava pit and adorning walls with blood is your idea of a good time, BUTCHER is THE game for you.
(header photo by Bartłomiej T. Listwon)Key features:
- Ultra-violent uncompromising carnage in the spirit of Doom and Quake (chainsaw included)
- Release your inner artist, paint the walls with (permanent) blood (up to 4 million pixels available to be painted per level)
- Use the environment (saws, hooks, lava pits, animals and other) to brutally dispose of your enemies
- Put your reflex and patience to the ultimate test
- Choose from an array of weapons (featuring classics like chainsaw, railgun and the deadly grenade launcher)
- Adorn more than 20 levels with the insides of your enemies
- Soak in the dark atmosphere reinforced by a wicked, heavy soundtrack (while you kick corpses around)
- Die painfully: melt in lava, become piranha food, get crushed by heavy doors... and more!
- Absolutely no mercy for anyone!
26. Maldita Castilla EX - Cursed Castile
The tears of a young witch have been turned by a demon into a key that opens up a gateway for the evil in this world. The King Alfonso VI of León has gathered his loyal knights to get to Tolomera del Rey and finish the nightmare using the power of the Witch’s tears.
Banish the zombies and demons that entered the Kingdom of Castile with Don Ramiro, the loyal King’s Knight, and his friends. For that, you will use a different range of weapons to defeat your enemies through the cursed lands of Tolomera, in a pure classic arcade action style.
This new instalment features:
- 8 Stages
- 19 Bosses
- 48+ types of enemies
- 4 different endings
- 15 unlockable achievements
- New music tracks
- Remixed and remastered audio
- Illustrated Bestiary – with unlockable information about the myths behind each creature included in the game
- 8 screen view modes
- Navigation menu
- Specific content adaptation for the end platform to improve the gamer experience
27. Fork Parker's Holiday Profit Hike
The fiscal year is coming to a close and poor Fork Parker has lost all his wonderful profit to greedy developers and their endless thirst for royalties! Grab a martini and ride your private helicopter to the snow capped mountains and hunt down the riches you so rightly deserve. Jump, dash, and rappel your way up the sheer mountainside to scratch out a little profit and meet the demands of an increasingly angry board of directors!
Fork Parker's Holiday Profit Hike features snow, helicopters, ugly holiday sweaters, non-denominational penguins, a title screen, dope beats, ethics, torches, reverse monetization, hot tubs, non-candied canes, falling, ropes, and non-refundable holiday cheer.
Follow @DevolverDigital on Twitter and join the Devolver Digital Super Fun Club on Steam for more fun and games. Sometimes free games. But not all the time, it would make Fork Parker sad.
28. Tower 57
The tower awaits.
In a dystopian, dieselpunk world, where Megatowers are the only enclaves of civilization, a group of extraordinary individuals is sent to infiltrate the reclusive Tower 57. Their skills, clips' capacity & the ability to cooperate will decide on their fate.
Tower 57 is a top-down twin stick shooter with 16-bit inspired pixel art, destructible environments and heavy focus on co-op. It is also a modern take on what made AMIGA games so great back in the days.FAST-PACED ARCADE GAMEPLAY
There is no school like the old school. Shoot everything that moves and don’t get killed in the process. Tower 57 offers complex situations arising from simple systems interacting with each other - and it does it the hard way. Number of lives is scarce, respawns limited and difficulty skyrockets when you least expect it.TOOLS OF DESTRUCTION
Choose from a roster of six particular characters with different skillsets, number of upgradable weapons and gadgets. And if you happen to lose an arm or leg during your mission - you can always replace it with a new, better one! Master these combos and you will never get bored on your way to the top of the Tower 57.COOPERATION
Mayhem tastes the best when it is shared. Tower 57's main campaign is designed for both, single player & local/online co-op. Flank your enemies, bait them into an ambush, leverage co-op specific weapons, or combine your regular weapons for increased firepower and new effects!DIESELPUNK WORLD
Find your way through a maze of floors connected by elevators, a central hub filled with shops and terminals, and a multitude of secret walls and uncharted passageways leading to forgotten parts of the tower. Times of randomly generated levels are gone - everything in Tower 57 is carefully designed and pixel-crafted with the highest attention to detail.DESTRUCTIBLE ENVIRONMENTS
Smash them, crash them and destroy everything. Reload. Repeat. Because everyone likes when things go BOOM. Everything - from debris and shell casings to bloody footprints - will mark your destructive trail through the Tower.ADVERSARIES
Each enemy features its own distinct spawning mechanism, movement & attack patterns, as well as some weaknesses. And you'd better learn those vulnerabilities if you don't want to end up dead very quick.
29. Shut Up And Dig
Shut Up And Dig is an exciting 2-d roguelike game made in fantasy theme. The main hero is an elf-girl, who is exploring the mysterious worlds of haunted dungeons.
All the elements of the magic world of this game is connected with each other. The terrifying world you have to explore is full of powerful artefacts, secrets, demons, monsters and ghosts.
• Presently, the first world of the game is completed : it's around 10hrs gameplay
• The game will have 5 absolutely different and also randomly generated worlds and more than 10 secret worlds. Every world has its own design, music and gameplay.
• During the game you will meet great amount of bosses.
• All the elements in this magic world interact with each other.
• The dangerous underworld you will explore is full of powerful artifacts, secrets, demons, monsters and ghosts.
• Every game will be unique. Get ready to survive in this dark and doomed world.
• The process of finding the artifacts and special tools is very interesting; you have to solve difficult puzzles.
30. Super Mutant Alien Assault
Three fleets of spaceships flee a doomed Earth carrying the last humans in cryostasis. Pursued by aliens, it’s up to the lowly security droids to save humanity. Taking up arms solo or with a friend, you must dance with death in a brutal and addictive arcade platformer shooter inspired by Super Crate Box and stuffed to the brim with unlockables.
Fight through rapid fire single screen levels each with a random combination of platform layout, objective, vending machines and enemies. Dodge and weave amongst the aliens to stay alive but don’t leave them standing too long or the ship’s radiation will mutate them into bigger, nastier versions.
Only by unlocking and mastering the wild variety of weapons, explosives, special abilities, defense moves and perks can you hope to survive across all three galaxies, rid your ship of the mutant menace and save the oblivious humans.Features
- rapid fire levels give you no rest as hordes of enemies arrive, hell-bent on your destruction. Clear the objective quickly and be sure to kill each enemy before it has the chance to mutate into a bigger, nastier version of itself. Take a tiny breather and then it’s on to the next room.
- in the tight confines of the space freighter, standing still is not an option. Your ability to dodge around enemies is as important as your aim. Survival requires quick thinking and rapid reflexes and a true master of the dance is a beautiful thing to behold.
- each single screen level is randomised, drawing on a pool of platform layouts, objective types and enemies as well as which vending machines will be present. You’ll never know which weapons or grenades will spawn in the vending machines whilst crate drops containing special abilities, sidearms, perks and defense moves are also random, adding further to the mind-boggling possible combinations.
- a wealth of weapons, sidearms, special abilities, perks, explosives, defense moves and character skins awaits you. Each new unlockable joins the melting pot of random ingredients, increasing your options but also the need to master each individual element and the way they combine with each other.
- take on the mutant hordes by yourself or team up in local co-op. Two player adds further complications to master as you must be careful to avoid friendly fire from explosives and will have to share/fight over item and health pack drops.
31. Aegis Defenders
HUMANITY HAS BEEN BROUGHT BACK INTO THE DARK AGES, BUT REMNANTS OF A ONCE HIGHLY ADVANCED CIVILIZATION STILL EXIST.
In a world where control over ancient technologies means power, a ruthless Empire has arisen. You play as a team of Ruinhunters searching for the one thing that can save their village - a legendary weapon known as Aegis.
Explore, build, & defend in this 2D platformer that blends Metroidvania style combat with Tower Defense strategy.
- Discover the world of Elam, a beautiful yet dangerous place lost to time. Brimming with dangerous beasts, forgotten ruins, and powerful relics, Elam is brought to life with uniquely handpainted pixel art style.
- Level up your items and weapons in the shop to take in bigger and badder enemies.
- Adjust your strategy on the fly with the "Fusion Build" system. Try fusing different combinations of items together to change your defensive setup.
- Fight off enemies from all sides - but you won't have to do it alone. With Dynamic Character Swapping you'll need to switch between multiple characters on the battlefield, position your characters carefully, and utilize their passive abilities effectively to survive.
- Various Tower Defense Scenarios - Defending one point can be hard enough but that's just the beginning. As the game progresses, you'll need to defend moving targets, targets that have dynamic abilities like activating doors/weapons, and even targets that don't want to be protected...
- Play through the game in either single-player or split-screen coop.
- Build blocks, turrets, and traps to defend an area from hordes of enemies in our Tower-Defense inspired combat.
- Learn the secrets of the ancients and the origin of an empire in our extensive story mode.
32. Gundemonium Recollection
First of the three titles in the Gundemonium Collection, this pixel-style side-scroller brings the intensity of the 'bullet hell' shooter genre to Steam. Choose one of two playable characters, including an unlockable third character! Modify character weaponry to your liking! Dominate 5 levels of frenetic gameplay while being bombarded with high-impact weaponry. Each level culminates with a challenging boss to defeat. Three game play modes will keep the non-stop action going! Experience a new level of game-play: Enjoy Gundemonium Recollection while listening to a brand-new arranged soundtrack.
- 5 levels of intense bullet-flying action
- Sweet Old school retro anime-style art
- Two playable characters to choose from and a third you can unlock
- Story, Practice and Mission modes to take your shooting skills to the max
- 32 Steam achievements
- Full online leaderboards
- New arranged soundtrack by DM Ashura
Dungetris is a game in a Rogue-like genre with an original system of building a level and the elements of a card game.
You build a tower by using the rules which are similar with the famous game. Finish the construction of the castle to the certain height and fight with a boss. These goals are the main ones in each level.
There are no standard items and inventory. You can help to your hero by means of playing cards. Everything, that you can find in the game, from weapon to quest is presented by playing cards. Collect them all!
Cards and blocks need to be used wisely. Sometimes the wrong step can lead you to the dead end.
- Different worlds
- Variety of hero cards
- Diversity of playing cards
- Several game modes
- Fun art and atmosphere music…
34. 1001 Spikes
Discover the lost treasures of Ukampa in South America as Aban Hawkins searches for his estranged father, world-famous archeaologist, Jim Hawkins. The elder Hawkins mysteriously disappeared while exploring the ruins. Before his disappearance, the elder Hawkins entrusted his daughter, Tina with a map to the location of the ruins but with a grave warning that death awaits around every corner.
Aban Hawkins races into the frozen tundra of the antarctic, undiscovered temple ruins and the vast caverns of South America in search of his father and the legendary treasure rumored to lie behind the Golden Door of Poko-Mum.
■ 1001 Lives to pass 100+ Levels
Devious traps and cleverly designed levels ensure a variety of challenges that will test the limits of your skills, reflexes and patience.
■ 4-Player Local Co-op and Versus Gameplay
Test your platforming and treasure skills with up to 4 of your friends!
■ Retro with style
Classic 8-bit style chiptunes by Rushjet1 and Misoka with true-to-Famicom graphics
■ Secret of Ukampa
Unlock nearly two-dozen secret characters, each with vastly different gameplay and abilities
■ Watch the Story unfold
The action and mystery advances through in-game cutscenes, each character with their own unique story!
35. 99 Levels To Hell
99 Levels to Hell is a platform shooter with lots of guns, upgrades, magic, traps and monsters to kill.
99 Levels to Hell is a rogue-like, which means surviving is key and every time you play you get a new set of levels to play.
When you complete 10 levels, the 10th being a boss-fight you unlock a door to the next dungeon.
Hidden in the darkness of the dungeons are shops, casinos and elevators. And if you search the dungeons carefully, you might find secret rooms that unlock more of the story, and free new adventurers, you can play as in your next game.
But best of all you get to kill the devil to a killer metal soundtrack!
- 10 different dungeons.
- 10 bossfights.
- 100 levels that spawn at random.
- 25+ monsters.
- 50+ powers ups and weapons.
- Shops, portals, casinos and elevators.
- Unlock the story of two brothers
- And blood, a lot of blood.
36. Shattered Haven
An Environmental Puzzle Game About Family, Grit, and Survival.
Grays roam the land, largely in the absence of human interference. These aren't your typical Zed -- theirs is a very different sort of apocalypse. Animals spontaneously transform into twisted, violent beings. The earth decays, collapsing into a network of abysses. The wilderness thickens.
It has been nine years since That Day when it all started. Pockets of humanity still exist, but are ignorant of one another. Within these isolated havens people try to live as best they can -- for even in a world so broken and dark, daily life must go on.
Darrell and Mary Williams were able to build such a life inside a five-acre fenced yard out in the country. They were even secure enough in their isolated compound that they had a daughter five years after the zombie-like grays appeared.
Life carried on as normally as it could, until another refugee on the run is killed during a nearby attack. Her son is saved and taken in by the Williamses -- who do not realize that this kind action will destroy their home and threaten their entire family. They find themselves caught in the midst of a struggle between two eldritch horrors, and the path to survival is anything but clear.Key Features
- Solve environmental puzzles under pressure. Figure out how to use the tools, traps, and weapons in each level to clear all the Grays.
- Nearly 100 hand-crafted levels with multiple difficulty levels ranging between casual and hardcore, developed end to end by two experienced adventure level designers.
- Complete bonus objectives for higher scores and gold markers.
- Follow the story of Darrell and Mary as they try to save their family from a new and unexpected threat through in-game storytelling and painted-style cutscenes.
- Guide different members of the Williams family through branching story paths that result in one of several endings. Depending on your actions, the story may end very poorly, happily, or anywhere in between.
- Music and sound by composer Pablo Vega provides a chilling atmosphere for players to experience.
- Included level editor: The same editor used to make the main adventure will let you make your own levels, cutscenes, or even entire adventures.
- Local 2-player co-op. Using two gamepads, two players on the keyboard, or any combination of the above.
37. Escape Goat 2
"The game’s flow from challenge to discovery is a masterwork for the genre ..." - Ars Technica
Escape Goat 2 is a puzzle platformer game where you use machinery, the environment, and a friendly mouse to progress through a dungeon.
Overview: None have overcome the Stronghold of Toragos... will you be the first goat to do so? Escape Goat 2 is the follow-up to the critically-acclaimed 2011 indie game, featuring more than double the content: larger rooms, HD graphics, dynamic lighting, and a host of devilish new traps.
Pick your path through the massive Stronghold, divided into ten unique zones. Worry not, brave Goat, for you have a friend on this mission: Your immortal mouse familiar can crawl to otherwise unreachable areas, to hit switches and distract enemies. Use your wits, reason, reflexes and courage to overcome each room, and save your friends from an eternal slumber...
- Over 100 rooms of puzzles, traps, and sheeply lore
- With destructible and movable walls, the rooms take on many forms as you manipulate hidden machinery to reach the exit
- Fully hand-drawn, hi-def art and animation, brought to life with a custom lighting engine
- Epic 90's Redbook Audio soundtrack, featuring guest track by Disasterpeace (composer, FEZ)
Listen to the soundtrack!
38. DEMON'S TILT
OCCULT PINBALL ACTION!
Turbo-Charged Pinball is back!
Updated with bigger sprites, more baddies, more secrets and of course MORE BULLETS!
Demon's Tilt pushes the limits of the Video Pinball genre with SHMUP & Hack N' Slash elements.FEATURES:
- A SPRAWLING 3 STORY TABLE
- CRYPTIC SECRETS
- HELLISH BOSSES
- INTENSE SPECIAL MODES
- INSANE JACKPOTS
- BULLET HELL
- A MEGA-DRIVEN SOUNDTRACK
A three-tiered cathedral to Explore:
Unlock its gothic secrets and depth over time, Packed with mini-bosses, baddies, ramps and mechanical traps.
A Unique Magic System:
Convert waves of enemy bullets into homing magic that fights for you,
or transmute them into GOLD for a banked Ultra Jackpot!
Use your Chain Meter to combo hits and keep your scoring momentum up. Link ramps to extend the Chain Meter's life. Speed and aggressive play rewards!
Base Multipliers can soar up to 99x Earn Global multipliers to rocket your score into the billions!
Complete Dark Rituals and spell letters for huge bonuses & jackpots Complete them all and unlock a special WIZARD MODE!
True full table multiball and add-a-ball modes!DEMONS
The High Priestess:
Controlled by an unknown demonic force. Turn her Wheel of Fate and take control of your destiny.
Part lion, serpent, and scorpion. An enslaved beast oversees the cathedral and protects its deepest secrets.
The humble gatekeeper of the cathedral.
A well-defended skeleton horde. Their shields will stop most shots, try and outflank them!
120 million years old is just a baby when it comes to Cosmic Gods!
An aggressive demon, its eyestalks are its weak point.
A blasphemous experiment gone awry. Watch out for the bile!GRAPHICS:
"Hi-Bit", massive colorful sprites inspired by the Neo-Geo, Saturn and PlayStation era. Scaling, rotation, camera zooms... No "blast processor" required!MUSICA Mega-Driven Soundtrack:
An all-new OST true to the guttural sound of the Sega Genesis, composed by E.C.2151
39. Alwa's Awakening
In Alwa's Awakening you play as Zoe, a heroine sent from another world to bring peace to the land of Alwa. Equipped only with a magic staff she awakens in a distant land and must set out to help the people. Traverse dangerous dungeons, meet interesting and fun characters and explore the world in this 8-bit adventure game. Just like the old classics you won't have a flashing arrow telling you exactly where to go and what to do next. Instead you are free to find your own way and by using your magic staff you can progress through the over 400 unique challenging rooms in the game.
Alwa’s Awakening is a game that tries to stay as close as possible to the authentic 8-bit look with sweet pixel art, a soundtrack filled with catchy chiptunes and so much charm it’ll bring you right back to the NES era. With easy to understand controls the game is easy to learn but tough to master, just like how games were in the old days!
A retro game with an authentic feelA new challenging NES-inspired adventure game with the authentic feel and look of a Nintendo 8-bit game. Inspired by classics such as Battle of Olympus and Solstice.Use your magic staffEquip a magic staff that holds many mysterious powers. Use it to solve puzzles and defeat enemies in over 400 unique rooms. Upgrade your staff by finding new gemstones.You are ZoePlay as Zoe who has been sent for to help free the land of Alwa. With easy to understand controls, you'll jump and fight your way through the many different challenging rooms.Explore the land of AlwaExplore a large interconnected map in true ‘Metroidvania’ style. Play the game any way you want and find your own way through the land of Alwa.Find new items and learn new abilitiesFind and unlock a slew of different objects throughout the adventure that will both give Zoe new abilities as well as unlock new areas.An 8-bit soundtrackListen to a completely new 8-bit soundtrack with over 25 new original tracks composed by Robert Kreese. Also features a guest track by Prof. Sakamoto.
40. Chainsaw Warrior
Chainsaw Warrior from Games Workshop is the classic nail-biting game for one strong-nerved player! It's the year 2032 and spatial warping has opened a hole into another dimension in the midst of the old municipal buildings at the heart of Manhattan. Bizarre and dangerous creatures are flooding into our dimension, intent on destruction. Behind their actions is a controlling intelligence known as 'Darkness', who intends to drag New York back into the warp – destroying it utterly!
Air strikes, ground assaults and WMDs have all failed to stop the swarming forces from beyond. All that remains is a single hope: a shadowy ex-special forces soldier, enhanced for combat and known only as 'Chainsaw Warrior'. Equipped with all the latest high-tech armaments, he must battle his way through to the trans-dimensional ground-zero and defeat Darkness. Not only are there swarms of zombies, mutants, traps, Chaos Agents and other twisted denizens between him and Darkness, time is the enemy too! Only an hour remains to save New York before it is torn from our world forever.
First published as a solo boardgame in 1987, it has been updated, translated and re-engineered for the digital generation. In Chainsaw Warrior it's just you against both the clock and a tide of evil! Can you prevail where all others have failed? You only have 60 minutes to save New York!
42. Life of Pixel
Life of Pixel - 13 Game Machines in 1 Epic Adventure Game!
Journey across the expertly-recreated worlds of more than a dozen vintage gaming systems, from Commodore 64 to Gameboy to Snes! Life of Pixel takes you on a historical tour-de-force across the rich landscape of 8-bit and 16-bit gaming.
Chock-full of tricks & traps, double jump challenges, gravity inversion, special power-ups, puzzles you must vanquish the enemy pixels and bosses who try to thwart you throughout your quest. Life of Pixel will show you the coolness of video gaming and the history of where it all began and how it evolved.GAME FEATURES:
Inspired by the 8 & 16-bit Eras
Take a journey with the wizened Professor Pixel and revisit the golden age of gaming. Featuring a massive variety of beautiful pixel art from classic 8 & 16-bit game systems, such as Amiga, SNES, Mega Drive, Commodore 64, Apple II, Game Boy, NES, Atari 2600, ZX Spectrum & Master System!
Revisit Classic Games
Look out for nudges to console classics like Mega Man, Castlevania, Zelda, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Metroid, Wonder Boy, Pitfall, Sonic & more. Revisit computer legends such as Turrican, Uridium, Jet Set Willy, James Pond, Rick Dangerous, Prince of Persia, Impossible Mission, Exile & lots more.
Loads of Secrets!
Dozens of special secrets to uncover and experience. From silly little touches through to great big mega-epic secrets! Look out for jetpacks, bubbles to fly, trampolines, hidden rooms and maps, aeroplanes, skateboards and even a Sinclair C5!
Special power-ups and equipment with levels featuring puzzles and secrets only accessible using Pixel's new found abilities. Fire pixel from a cannon, reach high areas by bouncing on a trampoline, use the Super Potion to defeat enemies, smash the baddies with the mine cart, deploy the Bomb to destroy walls and uncover hidden secrets!
Chip Music Goodness
We've worked with amazing chip musicians such as Eric Shumaker, Gavin Harrison, Rob Lynch, Ashton Morris and others to create a fantastic chip music soundtrack for the game - and not forgetting the sound effects too! All audio created with either the original hardware or VST based emulation.
Steam Leader Boards
Compete online against other players from all over the world to earn the best level completion times!
Earn your dues and show what you are made of, while honing your platforming skills.QUOTES:
Recommended by Shuhei Yoshida @YOSP
(President of Sony's Worldwide Studios)
"Really loving LIFE OF PIXEL (aka semi SUPERMEATBOY for VITA)! Playing the Atari 2600 levels is like stepping back in time!!:)"
David Jaffe @davidscottjaffe
(Video Game Designer/Director)
"Life of Pixel is brilliantly clever"
Punk and Lizard
"Life of Pixel is a likeable precision platformer with a fantastic visual style"
"Need a new game for your PS Vita? I recommend the awesome Life Of Pixel."
Categories in common with Life of Pixel: Indie
THE ULTIMATE SPELLCRAFTING/WIZARD-SECURITY-GUARD ADVENTURE
Magicmaker is a spellcrafting-focused platformer dungeon-crawler where you can be the wizard you've always wanted to be!Literally 2 Million Different Spells to CraftMagicmaker is powered by an amazing Spellcrafting system that can make nearly anything. Have you ever wanted to shoot poisonous lightning lasers? Throw freezing fireballs? Build turrets that fire waves of miniature suns? Or summon hordes of adorable jelly minions? How about firing lasers that shoot exploding black holes that suck out your enemies' life force? You can totally do that in Magicmaker.How Do I Make Exploding Laser Black Holes That Steal Souls?Or any of that other sweet stuff?!
Its super easy.
- During your adventure you'll find materials.
- Each material has a specific effect, like lifesteal, bouncing off walls, or lighting stuff on fire.
- Combine materials to make spells and robes!
- 40 different materials means there's all kinds of fun interactions and combinations to make.
What kind of wizard will you be? Probably a really cool one, I bet.The Greatest Adventure of All: Steady EmploymentListen: you're unemployed, you're three months late with the 8999 magic-dollar rent on your wizard apartment, and your highest qualification is a certificate from a 3 week cheesemaking course. If you can't find a job soon, your landlord's gonna kick you out and you'll probably have to go live in a tree or something. But don't worry too much! The World of Magic presents all kinds of opportunities, as long as you're willing to journey to the local temp agency and take whatever career the job placement spell picks for you. And you lucky soul, the job placement spell has decided you'll make an excellent Security Guard!
"A Security Guard??"
That's right! A Security Guard for the illustrious Dörwall Community College, the preeminent wizarding school of the greater Dörwall metropolitan area! Now you can enjoy the many luxuries of employment, such as a magical adventures, the quiet disdain of your co-workers, and a semi-regular paycheck!LOOK AT ALL THESE BULLETPOINTSYa'll love bulletpoints, don't ya? Well feast your eyes on these:
- Spellcrafting System that can create over 2 million combinations! I know I said that earlier, but hot dang, that's a huge number.
- Robecrafting System for passive effects! That's right, there's 2 million unique combinations here too.
- Equip special artifacts with unique powers! Check out these totes ancient and mystical relics.
- Total Wizard Customization! Just go ahead and customize the heck out of your wizard. Totally.
- Randomly Generated Levels! I mean, this is an indie game in 2014. Isn't that kind of required now?
- Charming, colorful paper-craftesque art! There are at least 6 different colors. I counted.
. . .
Okay, I lied. There's actually 2,193,360 different combinations.
44. A Robot Named Fight!
A Robot Named Fight is a Metroidvania roguelike focused on exploration and item collection. Take on the role of a lone robot tasked with stopping a the entity known as Megabeast. Explore procedurally-generated labyrinths, uncover randomized power-ups and artifacts, find secrets, and blast meaty creatures in this deliciously gory Metroidvania.
Millennia of peace have passed since the mechanical gods ascended and left the lower order robots to cultivate the world. Unfortunately for those left behind, something forgotten and terrible stirs amidst the stars: the Megabeast, a pulsating moon-sized orb of flesh, eyes, mouths and reproductive organs – unleashing its children onto the world like an unstoppable plague.
- Explore a procedurally-generated labyrinth with more than 4 billion unique runs.
- Prove your worth with true permadeath.
- Take on over 50 menacing enemies solo or with a friend via local co-op.
- Adapt to a different item set every run with more than 60 unique items
- Complete achievements to unlock new content.
- Play using your favorite controller.
- Enjoy an unreasonable amount of meat!
45. Adventures of Pip
Adventures of Pip revitalizes the classic side-scrolling action platform genre. Pip -- the ultimate digital underdog – is a lowly single pixel in a 32-bit world who proves that you can’t judge a hero by the fidelity of his shaders. During the game, Pip gains the ability to evolve and grow by absorbing pixels from his fallen foes. Those same pixels can then be used to blast through environment puzzles and enemies, devolving Pip back to a single pixel. Players will explore five stylized worlds and experience up to 10 hours of epic adventure saving Pip’s village from the evil Queen DeRezzia.
Inspired by classic platformers, Adventures of Pip basks in a world where players can defeat a huge 32-bit boss as a single pixel or even as an 8-bit character.
With three different forms, evolve and devolve Pip to solve puzzles and defeat enemies; each with their own weakness and strength that must be unraveled throughout the campaign.
The Bit Stream is the life force that fuels Pixel Kingdom. The One who taps its power can forge the Kingdom's destiny.
Pip is only one pixel in a world full of 32-bit characters, yet he is the only one brave enough to face the Queen DeRezzia and rescue the kidnapped princess.
Moved by his plight, the ghost knight, Sir Elwyn, bestowed upon Pip the power to harness the Bit Stream. With the ability to absorb his enemy’s pixels, Pip can transform into a hi-fidelity hero! But be aware! With each evolution not only will you gain skills but some will be lost.
A Bomberman-inspired Spaghetti Western action game with rogue-like elements. Visit the BOMBSLINGER website here.
PLEASE NOTE: Bombslinger in still in Early Access, this means that it is not the final game yet and a good chunk of the content is still missing. While we think Bombslinger is already a fun and polished experience, please keep in mind the above before purchasing the game.
Wear the poncho of the Bombslinger, a former ruthless bandit turned rancher, as he sets out on a journey to avenge the brutal murder of his wife.
Bomb your way through hordes of enemies, defeat your former posse and get to the final showdown with its leader, the Gunslinger.bombslinger Features
- Explosive Bomberman-inspired single and multi-player gameplay (Multiplayer mode coming during Early Acces)
- Procedurally generated levels and tons of items make each play unique
- 4-player battle mode a for classic local multiplayer action (coming during Early Acces)
Initial Early Access content:
- Procedurally generated single player mode
- 4 levels, 2 environments, around 10 enemies and 4 Bosses
- Several bombs types and items
- 4-players Local Multiplayer Deathmatch
- at least 2 additional environments, a total of 20 to 25 enemies and new bosses
- new classic wild west buildings (the shaman's tent, the bank, the saloon...)
- More bomb types and items
Want to share your thoughts on Bombslinger?! Join us on the Community page.
Visit the BOMBSLINGER website here.
47. Ittle Dew 2
Ittle and Tippsie crash onto yet another island filled with loot, puzzles and mysterious inhabitants! With the help of a magical map, they set out to steal eight pieces of a raft from increasingly improbable locations including beaches, prairies, an art exhibit and some dude's basement.
Ittle Dew 2 is a charming and humorous 3D Action Adventure game with a focus on exploration and combat. Tackle the game’s dungeons in any order and discover the many secrets of its expansive overworld. With only four main weapons, combat and puzzling is streamlined, yet upgradeable inventory items add RPG-like character progression!
● Who needs a map, anyway? Tackle the first seven dungeons in any order you want, and use items to open various shortcuts within! The craftiest of adventurers know there’s more than one way to open a locked door…
● Characters are now in true 3D! With a bright art style and tightly focused gameplay, Ittle Dew 2 takes everything that was great with the original Ittle Dew and adds what was missing – more exploration and content, vastly improved movement & combat, lightweight RPG elements such as upgradeable equipment, and randomized world events!
● Discover four weapons that double as puzzle solving items, and upgrade them by finding additional copies of that item!
● Locate “Secret Shards” to unlock additional challenging secret dungeons!
● Utilize warps as a mode for fast travel throughout the overworld!
48. Exiled Kingdoms
Exiled Kingdoms is a single-player Action-RPG that allows you to roam freely through a unique world, full with surprises and adventure. It is an isometric game, inspired by the classics in many ways: a challenging environment to explore, choices with consequences, and a simple but versatile rulesystem enabling endless ways to develop your character. Each of your character stats will make a difference, and the world is highly reactive; new conversation options might be enabled with high intelligence, or vary depending of your standing with the many factions or your previous actions.
Explore a vast world: no one will point you to the best hidden secrets in the 135 areas. Talk to over 300 NPCs with unique dialogues, and solve 90 quests ranging from the "stereotypical" menial tasks in early levels, to epic-scale plots full with twists and hard choices. Customize your character with 70 skills and hundreds of different items. Overcome all kind of monsters and antagonists, choosing carefully the weapons or powers for each encounter if you want to have a chance. And return to the classical dungeon crawl, with traps and secret doors, and death awaiting the unwary adventurer behind every corner.
Exiled Kingdoms is a huge game, with content hand-crafted during 4 years of development and writing. It easily counts 120+ hours of gameplay for the average player, and much more taking into account replayability.Story introduction: A dark tale, and a brave new world
A century ago, the Andorian Empire was destroyed by a magical cataclysm that brought The Horrors into our world; humanity was nearly annihilated. Many thousand managed to escape sailing away to the Imperial Colony of Varannar: a savage island, dangerous and unexplored. Mistrust and blame made impossible to elect a new Emperor, and the four Exiled Kingdoms were proclaimed.
Nowadays, the ragtag kingdoms still struggle to survive in a harsh land, often waging war on each other and slowly declining into barbarism. Empire and the Horrors are, for many, just old legends and fairytales. But as a novice adventurer you rarely pay attention to such old stories; you're more concerned with your latest misfortunes and chronically empty purse.
But for once, luck seems to be on your side. A magical letter from New Garand materialized in your hands; it states that you are the sole beneficiary of a big inheritance. You don’t remember any relatives in the capital of the Kingdom of Varsilia, but certainly that won’t stop you from an opportunity like this! The road to New Garand will reveal many surprises, and will teach you that fairytales and legends can become, in fact, very real.
Note about assets: part of the art used in the game, trailer and screenshots is shared under different open licenses. You can check a full list at the Exiled Kingdoms website which includes all the details about license and the original authors.
49. Jet Set Knights
When the king is not at home, the bad things can be done...
The peaceful tiny kingdom is now under attack from their old enemies, beings from the dark world... The princess Kitty and all people of the kingdom are now in danger!
Don't wait! Take one of four brave knights, face hundreds of evil creatures and protect the princess at all costs!
Jet Set Knights is an old-school arcade action platformer inspired by classics from the golden age such as Mario Bros, Snow Bros or newest Super Crate Box. If You love retro 2D platformers mixed with tower defense and RPG elements, Jet Set Knight is for You!
- Simple controls and pure arcade action
- Choose from 4 Knights, each with their own unique abilities
- Single player and Local multiplayer for 2-4 players
- 2 Players Survival mode. Defeat monsters together with your friend!
- Three local multiplayer modes include Last Man Standing, Domination or famous EGG Tournament
- Secret Characters
- Retro-styled handcrafted pixel graphics created with love
- Over 14 unlockable weapons, spells and special artifacts
- 12 Unique Enemies - Including Ghosts, Slimes, Skeletons, Devils or Giant Snowballs!
- Plenty of hidden secrets, surprises and deadlies traps
- Level Up your heroes and collect many power-ups
- Fight with powerful Bosses!
- 12 in-game Achievements
- Funny mini-games
- Full Xbox 360 controller support
- Steam Achievements and Trading Cards
- Future content updates
- Awesome retro-style game manual
- Excellent Soundtrack
- And of course, there's a princess to save! =)
Note: The multiplay modes for 2-4 players are local only, not online.
50. The Madness of Little Emma
Emma was living alone with her younger brother until one day he has disappeared in eerie circumstances. Help Emma find her brother and learn what has happened.
The Madness of Little Emma is a randomly generated action platformer with heavy Rogue-like elements. In her journey Emma will discover tons of varied items and encounter multitudes of unique enemies.
- Over 100 hours of challenging gameplay
- Over 250 items
- 5 playable characters - each with completely different playstyle
- Almost a hundred unique enemy types
- 25 bosses
- Five episodes and multiple hidden areas
- Persistent Steam leaderboard
- A curious story
- 6 cutscenes (intro + 5 endings)
- XB360 Controller support
- Top-quality pixel art
- Cinematic music
- Lots of Achievements and unlockables
- Tons of Secrets